Ok, I have hesitated to post anything because the situation changes from day to day, and I am not kidding at all. Let me give you a little wrap up of the week. Monday, the department of state of the US government posted a "warning" to prospective adoptive parents considering Vietnam to be very cautious. The agreement they have in place to process adoptions with the US, will likely not be renewed as everyone thought that it would. So what does that mean? Well, a lot of speculation and heresay on the internet turns into no new dossiers in country, don't even try. So as of Monday, it was looking pretty bleak for us. Fast forward to Tuesday, so all is not so bleak anymore, more rumors that things will be processed as long as your dossier is in country by the expiration of the current agreement (Sept. 1). So we corresponded with our agency, I sounded like a complete lunatic to our agency, and finally we get the answer, well, proceed at your own risk, but we aren't really supportive of the idea. OK, Wednesday and Thursday morning, more of the same, from the agency, do what you want, but we are not supportive. So here are Chris and I trying to decide if we are the kind of people who just buck the system and venture off on our own in this whole thing, and if you know us, the answer is no, we are not, we like to make people happy, so the idea of our agency just giving in and saying, do what you want, is not very comforting to us. So then Thursday afternoon comes along, and low and behold, our agency has changed it's tune and is now willing to support families sending their dossiers in. What?? This whole adoption thing, I never know what to tell people anymore because the situation literally changes minute by minute.
So what does all of that mumbo jumbo mean that I just typed??? Well, it means we can now send our dossier in to Vietnam!! We must accept that we could possibly lose our agency fee, which is a significant amount of money, but we are ready to go forward. We tried to go this morning to get our background checks, but the lady was out today, so maybe this afternoon at another office or maybe Monday. We can get everything else we need this weekend, and then next week drive to Austin for state certification. I feel like a rush to do everything, because who knows what tomorrow will bring, maybe Vietnam will be crushed by a giant rabid unicorn, who knows with the way things have been going, nothing would surprise me anymore, but for today, we are hopeful.
Chris and I had a discussion this morning that maybe all this craziness and the background check lady being out were part of God's way of telling us not to proceed. I don't think that God's plan is necessarily easy, and delays don't mean that you are outside of his will. As a friend told me, we never get to see God work if we don't take some risks. So here we are, about to take a huge risk, stepping out in faith that God will be with us as we go...I can't wait to see where he takes us, and where the story ends. Because as my dad says, it is all part of the story, even if it is more difficult, it just makes that much better of a story. We will have one heck of a story to tell our sweet daughter someday.
Friday, February 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
We know that God is with you on this journey and please know that our prayers are with you as well. God knows what a nag I can be with prayers.
We love you guys,
Flippin Topf's
Praying for you & this whole crazy, amazing journey of adoption! Miss you guys!
Shauna
The story is great Erin! You know it will atleast take 9 months (haha).... so the story goes on. I am thankful to be apart of this through prayer. God is with you!
Post a Comment